We had a wonderful hookie day today. I used to work with an older black lady that weighed about 300 pounds - Earnestine was her name. She was great! It was at Columbus Tech and she taught the kids at Stewart Quitman High - let me tell you, if you can handle those kids, you are one tough chick! I went down there to fill in for her a few times and I feared for my life! Literally - This GIANT sweaty boy got in my face screaming at me - VERY SCARY! Anyway, she had raised her son alone, she was a preacher, and had her PhD, she was a very neat lady. She said that when her son was growing up she'd get him ready for school and put him in the car like any other day and then she'd make a wrong turn on the way there and scream "HOOKIE DAY!" and they'd go do something exciting. She did great stuff, like involving airplanes and major stuff!
Well we had a HOOKIE DAY today! Gracie worked hard to earn it though and it wasn't a surprise, but it was even more fun because she earned it. She took 4 AR tests this week so she earned a trip to Princesses on Ice today at the Civic Center. We took the preschoolers. It was CHAOS, but a great show. Grant's best buddy, Gavin has a sister that is Gracie age that also went to the show. Her name is Isabelle, she is a really sweet girl. They had a great time together at the show. Disney does a great job with everything. You know I couldn't' talk about it without giving kudos to Disney - it was true Disney - MAGICAL! All the preschoolers loved it too. Even our shyest most timid one Will was dancing.
After the show and the bus ride home we went to lunch with Gavin, Isabelle, their mom and baby sister Avery and Miss Sarah. Then Miss Sarah took G&G to her house to watch movies (hoping for naps).
Side story - while Sarah had the kids Chad came to the office hungry so we snuck out to get dinner. Since we had no kids, we thought we'd give Buffalo Wild Wings another try. Last time we went there it took forever and we got it free. That was years ago and we thought we'd try it again. I just wanted to sit on a patio and they had a nice one. We knew it was more of an adult crowd - but we are adult and didn't have kids with us, so we were good. Not so much. We felt really old and snobbish when we saw the crowd on the patio. There were 3 tables of army guys. We're talking 30 people tables. Then a bunch of biker types and several tables are bar fly old ladies. Not our typical crowd. Whatever, we sat down to eat. We noticed one of the big tables was breaking up and a few left. Fine. The waitress came and spoke to them, no big deal. Then all of the sudden this guy from another table, with a mohawk came over and was cussing out the Army guys. He was saying that the people that left weren't going to pay their tabs and the waitress was upset. He was a real jerk. The Army guy was an Army guy with the usual mouth. If G&G had been there, I'd have been furious! I wasn't happy because we were there, but whatever. Then the manager came and tried to smooth it over. Come to find out (from our waitress) that the Army guys had said they weren't paying the tab to the waitress. She was Mohawk boy's girlfriend and he was unhappy because the restaurant policy is that she has to pay it. Before Chad knew the whole story he said he'd pay their tab. He was feeling generous, see below for more on that!
The food was no good and the crowd was worse. We won't be back.
Sarah took the kids to the church and we went to the Missions Auction which was a big success. I hope they made a ton of money. It looks like they will. Chad and I had a deal that I could bid on this beautiful china cabinet I wanted and he could bid on a saw he wanted up to $75 each. The cabinet was at $65 (both were in the silent part of the auction). I lost the cabinet within 10 minutes. Chad won the stupid saw.
Then Gracie and I went to Bruster's with the Websters and the Gaithers. Grant had been beating up the kids in the nursery and screaming uncontrollably according to Gracie and Emma. Remember the naps at Sarah's - that didn't happen! So he went home to bed with Daddy.
She had a great HOOKIE DAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment