Grant had a swim meet tonight in Marietta. Gracie had plans tonight, so I was going to stay home to shuttle her while Chad went to the swim meet. But her plans changed and we were left with a rare opportunity to pick something fun to do. We decided to ride to Atlanta with Chad and go to the Nutcracker. That was about 10 am. We spent most of the day trying on dresses and playing "fancy dress up." While at dinner I was sitting there looking at her and all I could see the little 3 year old girl that was so excited to try on fancy dresses for the ballet. We go to the Nutcracker every year. It's our thing. Most of the time we have gone to the Fox in Atlanta, but we decided at one point to go on a tour of Nutcrackers. We went to Columbus that year, then Columbia, and Greenville and now back to Atlanta. Every time it has been a great experience (gotta say Columbia's was the best performance). But the first year was such a beautiful memory. It was the last Christmas she had as an only child. The day before the ballet we went to the mall to find her a fancy dress. You know, the poor little thing didn't have a thing to wear! But I thought it would be fun to go shopping. I had no idea how much fun it would be! We picked several dresses to try on. I never thought it was a big deal or it never occurred to me that she had never tried anything on in a store before. We went into the dressing room and she was so stinking cute! She would put on the dress and twirl around and stare at her beauty in the three way mirror like it was the most amazing experience ever. Nevermind the ballet....I had so much fun in the Macy's dressing room, I didn't need to actually go to the show! But it got even better - she wanted fancy hair too. I remember going to Target that night to purchase sponge rollers. I washed and rolled her hair only to unroll it in the morning and it was an afro! After much brushing, she had adorable (and more calm) curls. And off to the matinee we went. I can remember everything about that day, buckling her in her car seat, valet parking the mini van (which she was amazed with), her excitement walking under the twinkling lights at the Fabulous Fox (it was daylight and she was still enamored), I wore a horrible maternity dress and lovely Santa purse, I even remember getting a Coke and popcorn (Coke, like with caffeine! That was a big treat!). She even wore the red cape that was mine at her age. And there she was tonight. Almost 16 years old. She is still beautiful. She still loves to get fancy and had a great time trying on dresses even before we went anywhere, just the idea and the primping is fun. We had a great time again and I am sad to think that there are only 2 more years that she will be my date for the Nutcracker. Not true. I know she will always be my date for the Nutcracker and I know someday we will take my grand daughter (shudder!!!!), but 2 years under our roof. Two. We were standing at the souvenir booth tonight purchasing our treat and it was all I could do to not sob. I was standing there with my graceful gorgeous girl and looking around at all the little girls with their moms. I'm sure they were enjoying the moment, but do they know? Do they know how fast that little girl begging for candy and ballet shoes will be taking your car? Do they know how she will grow to make them so proud? Are they too planning to box up all those nutcrackers and ornaments and give them that precious three year old? I realized I'm closer to packing up the 12 years of decorations we've purchased to give her at a bridal shower than I'd like to be.
Thank you Gracie girl for being the best daughter I could ever imagine and for playing dress up. Promise me you'll always go to the Nutcracker with your Mama..


No comments:
Post a Comment