As you see, so far so good on today's visit. He seems to be feeling good. Just a little bathroom time, but otherwise feeling good. You can see his scar a little in the picture (the white blob is soap!). It is about 1 inch across his chest with the bump underneath. He has a Med Alert bracelet and I am glad. I wasn't going to get him one because everyone he is left with knows about the port. But Hanna reminded me (the ever realist, Hanna) that I could be unconcious after a car accident and they wouldn't know what the bump was. So we got him one. The bump looks like a strange thing on his chest, but I don't think I'd freak if I saw it on a kid. But the bracelet is a good idea. This is how it looks normally. They attach the tube only when they need to get blood or give treatment. If he is in the hospital, they will leave the tube attached.
One thing we talked to Pam, the PA, about is his behavior. She said the drugs are not to blame. She said he is playing us! I don't want to hear that! We haven't catered to his every need (as many of you wanted us to!) and he is a monster! Oh my! Does that mean a State Pen is in our future!!?!?! So, it is ON! He understands that his behavior is controlled by his choices and we are not putting up with it anymore. I think he may get it this time. Both Pam and his nurse Stephanie explained it to him. He gets a courage bead for every treatment etc. he has. Stephanie gave him a bumble bee bead today. She said he'd better Bee-Have or she wants her bead back! Courage beads are serious business, so maybe he'll listen.
Gracie went with us and finished a big book on the drive! We have been having trouble with her actually finishing a book - she starts them and doesn't finish. She finished a 180 page book today! It only took her about a week. She bought a bunch of books at the church yard sale and wants to start those. Whatever the motivation, I am proud of her.
Grant was a little freaked out by having his port accessed today. He was more than nervous. Ms. Karen, the Child Life Specialist, came to talk to him before and brought toys for him to play with. Stephanie came and did the entire thing in 2 minutes. He freaked out more about having the Tegaderm removed than the poke (I had already put the numbing cream under a Tegaderm before we got there). He is saying now that it was no big deal and he'll be fine next week. I hope so!!
They are in with Chad reading a book now. The book about the Yuck Bugs. Pastor Ashley let us borrow these books that tell you when you talk ugly it breaks people down. They really relate to the books, so hopefully that will help too.
Thanks for your prayers! Doing much better today!!

No comments:
Post a Comment